Friday, November 28, 2008

Komikon 2008 Coverage and Reviews

A week after Komikon, everyone still can't stop talking about it. Here are some highlights/coverage of what people are saying about Komikon 2008:

From our media partners:

Newswatch at RPN 9 - interview with Komikon Organizer Syeri Baet of Carpool and quotation from Gerry Alanguilan (November 24, 2008)

Tech Trends at News on Q* - A look at how the internet and technology has helped Filipino komiks and creators. With interview from Budjette Tan of Trese, Hazel Manzano of Callwork and Lyndon Gregorio of Beerkada. (November 27, 2008) (*sorry for the boo boo.. It's Tech Trends, not Trendwatch T_T )

Tech Trends at News on Q - A segment segment on Komikon and gadgets featuring Wacom and College of St. Benilde (to be aired on December 2, 2008, 9:30 pm)

Kult of Komikon - personal event coverage of Mr. Ramon De Veyra, On the Radar lifestyle columnist at the PhilStar. (Published November 30, 2008)

Photo Coverage from ArtistsDen, UP LUNAROCK and UP GRAIL:


Komiks 101 Talk (Nov 17) - from Noelle
Lecture: Comic Writing for Artists (Nov 20) - from Noelle
Lecture: Publishing Comics (Nov 21) - from Noelle
Random Shots at UP FA and Bahay ng Alumni (Nov 21) - from Raisa (warning! some semi-nudity :p)
Komikon Day! (Nov 22) - from Noelle
Komikon 2008 (Nov 22) - from Raisa
Komikon 2008 (Nov 22) - from Marla

From attendees (most have pics and vids so check it out):
*If you've got a komikon coverage and it's not here, please email us at komikon[@]gmail.com with the subject: Komikon 2008 Coverage and we'll gladly add them! Add'l reviews will be added at the end. Thanks!

  • I went to the Komikon 2008 yesterday as a media man and I’m there to do a photo coverage of the event and also to support Filipino komiks. I arrived late and I’m already getting worried that some komiks that I’m planning to grab might ... Azrael C. more: Photo Coverage 1, PC 2, PC 3
  • Komikon is over once more, and its been great as usual. The weather held up. ... Lyndon G.
  • Komikon was a success! Met a lot of people from DA and Manila Bulletin. We also had a talk/ interview during the event about SKP since that is one of the highlights of the event. Thank you for all the fans who supported Callwork from ... Hazel M.
  • I was very happy for Arlan, this being his first Komikon experience and his first comic book. It was clear he was nearly out of his mind with excitement, specially when he met one of his idols, Tony De Zuniga. ... Gerry A., Post Komikon Report, video
  • Just got home from Komikon. (yes, yes, note the icon) Much indies and stuffs has been had. *______* (Will post/steal the pics soon) ORZ I think I mixed my stuffs and Nami's stuffs. Oh and Nami, thanks for the bento! ... Meru
  • It's been more than an hour already since i got back from the event. Once again Komikon was able to deliver the best range of mangas, comics and indie publications one could ever had in our country. ... Kite
  • he best Komikon I've been to so far! Super saya lang talaga, nandun ako from 8am -8pm and I never got bored. I got tired though, after all that running around. I'ma post a really really better entry tomolo. (I wanted to post now, ... gigil
  • Every year Komikon 2008 gets better with substance, and content on what's been happening in the Philippine comics industry. ... There will be others who will start their own comics related convention, but when you talk about comics industry in general nothing captures the essence than Komikon. ... Mark C.
  • went off to UP to go to the Komikon, which I have been failing to attend for the past three years no thanks to me and all my reasons. XP Anyway, It wasn't as crowded as I expected, which meant majority of the expected attendees were ... slender_dragon
  • Photobucket kasama ko rin yung Geeky Little Boy Photobucket ang haggard sa loob, ang haggard ng pila magpa-autograph. ang haggard ang daming tao parang divisoria. susme! at ang gwapo ni pol medina jr! ang tatay ng pugad-baboy! ... ging
  • Images from GuhitPinoy Exhibit at the Philippine Komikon 2008 held in UP Bahay ng Alumni yesterday 22 November. Our group acquired two(2) booths that showcased the artworks of all international members, GPUAE. ... GuhitPinoy
  • I am bad at this, it'll take me a bit of time before I could recover and make a detailed entry about our KOMIKON 08 experience. But It was a smashing success, congrats to all of us who are there. Ang daming magagandang Titles ngayon. ... Gilbert M., more notes
  • The 4th Komikon was held at the UP Bahay ng Alumni yesterday. So my group Mirida sans one member, with my BF, arrived after lunch to sell our one-shot mini mangas. We saw Wilson Tortosa once more. And had pictures taken with him as our ... Kat
  • I wanted to take a pic of the cute lolita and the Sora cosplayer, but I didn't have enough time :( Many thanks to Neph for asking the cosplayer if we can take her pic X3 I went straight to Komikon after the HeroCon, and I totally LAMENT ... Thyalla
  • This is the first Komikon I attended. Nagkita-kita kami nina Ron Mendoza, Ronald Tabuzo at Mars Alvir na lumuwas pa ng Maynila galing ng Tarlac sa Precious page. Then at 3:30 PM we went at UP Bahay Alumni kung saan ginaganap ang Komikon ... Arman
  • I was late in coming in to the KomiKon since i had a couple more errands to go to earlier that day, and as luck would have me, my camera’s battery decided to run out at that time, which accounts for some lousy blurry and limited ... bunnylette
  • Bought. - 3 copies of Kiko Machine’s latest then had them signed by Manix Abrera. - 2 copies of Zsa Zsa compilation then had them signed by Carlo Vergara. I’m giving away my unsigned copy. - 2 copies of Bayan Knights and had them signed ... danceordropdead
  • Last Saturday I accompanied Tiu and Rey [of freshmanila] to Komikon at UP’s Bahay ng Alumni. It was a small event and we only stayed for a bit. A lot of pinoy komiks aficionado… IMAG0075. [Alfredo P. Alcala’s STAR WARS comics! ... bnycastro
  • I hate to admit it, but Komikon 2008 was the first time I ever attended this event in UP. I’ve met a lot of the comic book creators involved before in other events (eg Toycon, Cosplay Mania, C3Con, ... Mark P.
  • discordia24 and I went to Komikon, dressed in our rushed Hetalia attire. (much to [info] discordia24 's chagrin, which I find rather odd cause she found it perfectly fine that we were walking around UP campus in military attire, ... muse33
  • November 22nd 2008 was marked as the Fourth Annual Filipino Komiks Convention or KOMIKON which celebrates Filipino comics enthusiast, hobbyist, collectors, companies and more. The venue of the event was once again successfully celebrated at University of the Philippines' Bahay ng Aliumni in Quezon City. ... Chris A. (warning, image heavy post) more pics from cmaotaku
  • Julius Tabiolo ( www.ledzip.deviantart.com ) did most and all this photography.Full credits to him.Thanks my friend! ... Artlink Studios
  • 22, 2008, my highschool classmates aand I went to UP Bahay ng Alumni for the 4th Annual Filipino Komiks Convention aka KOMIKON 2008. It was my first time attending such event. I remebered back in highschool, I would just dream of going ... candycola
  • Last Saturday, I attended the fourth Philippine Komiks Convention or Komikon 2008. As usual, this annual event was held at the Bahay ng Alumni at the University of the Philippines in Diliman (and as far as I'm concerned, that's where it ... Marco D.
  • K is for K-Zone, and Komikon 2008! We dropped by the biggest comic book event of the year at the UP Bahay ng Alumni last Saturday and met some of the coolest artists in the biz, such as our very own Jomike Tejido of Foldabots fame, ... Ivan of K-Zone
  • I call this week the "komikon sleep recovery week". I've taken two power naps in the past three days, both at around 6-8pm (before dinner XP), and I've been pretty tired lately. But it's the good sort of tired. ... drifth
  • I didn't expect to meet so many new friends at Komikon. I was very pleased to find out that there are many people who new me and my cause. There, I gave out my very own graphic novel, "The True to Life Story of Gorgoro Henson". ... gorgoro (video)
  • Life on a Pencil : Komikon 2008 coverage - November 22nd 2008 was marked as the Fourth Annual Filipino Komiks Convention or KOMIKON which celebrates Filipino comics enthusiast, hobbyist, collectors,... 2 days ago ... Jann G.
  • I met up with Ferdinand and Mara with her kid Gavin. Albert couldn't make it because he has work. Nemcy, too. Jhaye is practically immobile due to her pregnancy. Still, we met up with other classmates at the Komikon. ... thekartunista, more pics
  • She said yes and I brought down four boxes (14 years worth of unsold Alamat Comics) and said they could give it away to everyone who came to the Komikon. (Well, it wasn’t really 14 years of unsold comics, more like 4 years worth. ... Budjette T., Komix101
  • Sangkaterbang tao (kailangan mo laging makiraan tuwing gagalaw ka) at sangkatutak na komiks ang dinatnan namin. ... Ron M.
  • Komikon 2008 was exhausting but very much worth it. Just like the previous Komikon. I did not had any chance to roam around because I have to man my post and sell my comics as much as I can. I have sold more comics this time than last year. ... Gio P. (more pics)
  • The Komikon this year was really fun for comic book lovers as there was a little bit of something for everyone, whether you loved DC, Marvel, Manga, Anime, Pinoy comics, cartoon strips, independent works, etc. The venue was crowded and ... Maverick
  • (added Dec 2) You don't see me at the table because I'm the one taking the pictures ... Subway Productions
  • you can't spell komikon without f-u-n hmm... i'm a bad speller .... Julius (pics)
  • (added Dec 9) How to get down from here? From the Lunarock Induction weekend to Komikon Saturday I've been so up on happiness, so much so that I'm worrying what gives. ... Noelle (Komikon Co-Host)
  • The Komikon this year seemed to be more crowded than the previous cons with lots more attendees as well as exhibitors/sellers. Whoever said that the local comics scene is dead is sorely mistaken. ... Shelly, photos (IAS)
  • so yeah i went, just didn't blog about it till almost two weeks later. so what? here's my haul:. i went a bit overbudget thanks to a used copy of scott mccloud's understanding comics (it's there beneath the SKP tome), but i did win two ... mcoy
  • I went to KOMIKON at UP Bahay ng Alumni for the first time ever last month, and it was fun! (Not so fun for my wallet, though. I bought so many comics by local creators! I gotta read all of 'em.) I had a whole bunch of stuff signed, including my first edition Beerlenium! (And of course I was wearing my Beerkada shirt, in line with the event.) Fun for everyone! I'll definitely go back next year. ... RenR
  • I didn't expect to meet so many new friends at Komikon. I was very pleased to find out that there are many people who new me and my cause. ... Gorgoro (photos)
  • This year's Komikon was really better than last year for me. A lot of people bought by indies, and my new title's copies got sold out by half. xD ... Pilar (photos)
  • Molly and Szusza's misadventures in Komikon '08 ... Molly (photos)
  • A Summoning At Komikon 2008 ... Wilson (photos)
  • So, it's Sunday late night since I've blog this entry and I'm going to share to you guys about what happened to me on both events, Komikon and Hataw Hanep Hero: The Amped Edition, and in-between-ers. ... matrixshino, photos
  • FreshManila at Komikon 2008 ... freshmanila
  • I would also like to give my BIGGEST THANKS to all the KOMIKON Staff! Thanks for giving us the oppurtunity to showcase our imagination in comic form. ... raykosen (with photos)
  • Ah. It's that time of the year again when all is well and joyful... and I'm not talking about Christmas. I'm talking about Komikon! ... BJ
  • Just got back from Komikon 2008. Whew! So many people, so many books, so many fellow fans and professionals! And of all the Kons I attended eversince 2004, this year has got to be my biggest haul of books!:D So this may take days and days of reading. ... boysoltero
  • Here are some pics from last Saturday's Komikon 2008. I didn't buy much, but I got my girlfriend a caricuttoon and a few magazines. ... Mark M. (photos)
  • Bkada 112208 Komikon 2008 ... Jay-R (photos)
  • ISANG NAPAKASAYANG EVENT!!! (Pasensya na po at hindi ako magaling magpicture ng malayo kaya blurred lols) Sa UP Bahay ng Alumni, 22 of November 2008. ... Ian (photos)
  • Youtube Vid

1 comment:

Melrose Fulgencio Website said...

"this is the best spoof yet! cosplayers, check this out -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDFCTsppB-o&feature=channel_page
"